Highlights of Montgomery Summer Camp of Champions
This was one of the most exciting summers at Camp Montgomery. Following the example of Biblical CHAMPIONS like John the Baptist, Joseph, Miriam, Moses, David, and Jesus, we took on the summer with that spirit of community, and teamwork.
Thanks to the strength of the partnerships Montgomery Center’s Executive Director Monica Williams has worked so hard to secure and reaffirm, plus the dedication of their committed volunteers and staff, Montgomery was able to host hundreds of campers from all walks of life. Numbers can never account for the human experience, but we are proud to report that 20 of our presbytery churches made this camp possible by sending groups, sponsorships, donations, and providing volunteers. Out of a goal-shattering 244, 80 kids and youth received partial or full scholarships from our churches. The Summer Camp Counselors (pictured below) were the best!
Montgomery has hosted summer camp for decades but this year they opened up to new community-building initiatives. The BOOST camp and refugee day camp were unique opportunities to serve in impactful ways. Nineteen kids were sponsored by several members of the community for BOOST Camp, and 25 refugee kids were sponsored by a variety of community organizations. This is what we mean when we talk about building an inclusive community!
The first-ever BOOST Camp took place from July 26-30. This special opportunity gave the gift of a sleep-away camp to kids in the community who wouldn’t be able to otherwise. This week was possible thanks to Montgomery’s firm commitment to community, the dedication of and sponsorship provided through Tina Baker, M.Ed, Community Partnership School™ Director, Children’s Home Society of Florida | Northeast Region, by Keystone Heights Junior/Senior High School, as well as the donations from Kiwanis Clubs from the Lakeside Region and Silver Springs, Clay Electric’s Round Out Grant, many community donors and partners, and as always the continued support of the Presbytery of St. Augustine.
A great big thank you to all those in our presbytery who assisted this summer (and probably many more that are not identified here!):
- To all the individuals and churches who sent droves of volunteers to prepare the property for camp.
- Suzi Lemen, HR Specialist, and member of the Coordinating Council for the Presbytery of St. Augustine
- Rev. Rhonda Cummings, Area 2 Relationships Coordinator for the Presbytery of St. Augustine
- Rev. Alan Cummings from Silver Springs Shores Presbyterian Church
- Rev. Dr. Holly Dillon Inglis, Ministry and Missions Coordinator at the Presbytery of St. Augustine
- Johnny Brown, Youth Director at First Presbyterian Church of Lake City
- Rev. Walk C Jones, Associate Pastor – First Presbyterian Church of Ocala
- Jennifer Clark, Board Member from First Presbyterian Church of Gainsville
- Dr. Jennifer Bryan from First Presbyterian Church of Lake City
- Dr. Mary Kathleen Ebener from St. Giles Presbyterian Church
- Marjorie Phillips from Orange Park Presbyterian Church
- Tommy Lane and the Montgomery Center Board of Trustees
Early bird registration for Winter Camp is now open! From December 20 – 22 Montgomery Center will host our annual Winter Camp! Send your kiddos to enjoy the fun while you “wrap up” your holiday plans. Sign up today!